Friday, 24 February 2012
Rochas Okorocha of Imo State. Is he for real?
Even if na show towards 2015. Imo state people should enjoy the show and count themselves blessed. It should not also stop people from scrutinising Rochas Okorochas every move, that was the mistake we made in my Lagos, everyone turned praise singers that you dare not question the Alausa folks without you being accused of being an agent of imaginary 'enemies'.
"Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State took to the state’s official website to list his administration’s accomplishments since he was sworn into office on May 29."
Here’s a look at Gov. Okorocha’s first 100 days in office: PUBLIC UTILITIES Rehabilitation of Water Schemes in Imo State, namely: 1. Otamiri Head –Works 2. Egbu Water Scheme 3. Orji Water Scheme 4. Umuoba Water Scheme 5. Ubachima Water Scheme 6. Mgbidi Water Scheme 7. Umuowa Water Scheme 8. Osuama Water Scheme 9. Nsu Water Scheme COMMERCE & INDUSTRY Adoption of Public Private Partnership (PPP) in the execution of some projects, namely: 10. International Electrical, Electronics and Auto-Parts Market, Naze 11. Central Market for general goods, New Owerri 12. Imo Free Trade Zone, Ngor Okpala 13. Development of Industrial Clusters, Phase 2-4, Naze 14. International Trade Fair Complex/Exhibition Center, New Owerri 15. Transformation of Okigwe Regional Cattle market into Okigwe International Market [The projects mentioned above are starting points, as the present government in Imo State has entered into agreements with their developers who are expected to commence work on the sites between September and October 2011, while Phase 1 of the Industrial Cluster has been completed.]
Adoption of Private Public Partnership in the re-activation of some moribund industries, namely:
16. Owerri Shoe Industry 17. Nsu Tiles and Ceramics Industry, Mbano 18. Ezinnachi Clay Products Industry EDUCATION 19. Establishment of the Imo College of Advanced Professional Studies 20. Secured approval of 922 million(Nine hundred and twenty two million) naira from the Education Trust Fund (ETF) to be used for projects in Educational Institutions in Imo State 21. Commissioning of a well equipped Information Communication Technology (ICT) Laboratory at Girls Secondary School, Ikenegbu, Owerri 22. Secured approval for the establishment of National Teachers’ Institute (NTI) Study Center in Imo State 23. Release of 138 (one hundred and thirty-eight) million naira for payment of arrears of CONTISS/CONUAS (Academic & Non-academic) staff entitlements in Imo State University, Owerri 24. Provision of 100 (one hundred) million naira for the accreditation of courses in the Faculty of Engineering and Nursing Science in Imo State University 25. Reversal of the proposed 150,000(one hundred and fifty thousand ) naira school fees for students of Imo State University by the past administration 26. Increased subvention to the Imo State University from 57.56 million(fifty-seven million, five hundred and sixty thousand naira) to 100million(one hundred million) naira monthly 27. Commencement of the building of the Young Scientists’ College in Owerri 28. Declaration of free and compulsory primary and secondary school education in Imo State HEALTH 29. Upgrading of General Hospital Owerri to a Specialist Hospital. 30. Connection of the Owerri Specialist Hospital to the National electricity grid 31. Provision of Solar energy as well as Solar-Powered borehole in the Owerri Specialist Hospital 32. Constitution of a Task-Force group on counterfeit and fake drugs and unwholesome food items 33. Purchase and distribution of medical equipments worth 90,000,000(ninety million) naira to health institutions in Imo State. 34. Approval of the payment of 100% CONMESS/CONHESS (salary structure) for all doctors and health workers in Imo State University Teaching Hospital. 35. Facilitating the return of some specialist doctors who left Imo State University Teaching Hospital (IMSUTH) before May 29th 2011
36. Reviving the Academic Curriculum of the Imo State University Medical School by ensuring the graduation of the 3rd set of medical doctors from the school in August 2011. It will be recalled that IMSU/IMSUTH have not graduated medical doctors in the last 2 (two) years owing to protracted industrial strikes by staffs of the institution 37. Purchase of 2 new ECG machines as well as 2 new Anaesthetic machines for use by IMSUTH 38. Successful implementation of 89%DPT3, 107%OPV3, 80%BCG,77%HBV and 96% anti-measles vaccination coverage of targeted children during the first round of the 2011 Maternal Newborn and Child Health Week held from 28th June2011 to 3rd July 2011 FINANCE 39. Payment of 12 years arrears of pension owed retired staffs of Imo State government
40. Release of 2.7 billion (two billion, seven hundred thousand) naira into the State and Local Government Joint Revenue Mission Bank Account for the development of Imo State rural schools and infrastructure LOCAL GOVERNMENT 41. Implementation of the outstanding 2008 Local Government Staff conversion exercise in the various cadres 42. Actualizing the 2008 Local Government Junior staff promotion exercise URBAN PLANNING 43. Commencement of negotiations with Messrs Roche Group from Ireland with a view to creating a demonstration layout which will pilot the provision of modular mass houses in Imo State
44. Commencement of negotiations with Hewlett- Packard Corporation, USA with a view to actualizing the computerization of the Imo State Land Registry 45. Commencement of negotiations with a Brazillian firm who is willing to partner with the Imo State government in providing power supply using natural gas 46. Commencement of discussions with Tummy Tummy Foods Industries Limited to facilitate their building a factory in Imo State, which upon completion, will provide employment for over 3000 youths 47. Commencement of discussions with TTI with a view to re-invigorating the IGIS Project SPORTS 48. Imo State representatives at the just concluded Hockey Premier League championship held between 14th and 21st August 2011, came 3rd, thereby qualifying to represent Nigeria in India for the next World Hockey Championship 49. Renovation of the Indoor Sports Hall at Dan Anyiam Stadium.
50. Revisiting the contract for the construction of the Orlu Township Stadium 51. Imo State Weight lifting Team participated in the competition for junior and senior categories at Lagos State and won 3 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze 52. Imo State Amateur Wrestlers won 1 gold, 3 silver and 5 bronze medals at the Continental Championship which ended on 30th May 2011 53. Imo contingents in the Karate Championship held in Ghana in August 2011 won a total of 3 gold and 1 bronze medals 54. Imo contingent that took part in the 17th National Sports Festival held in Rivers State in July 2011 came 14th on the medals table, having won a total of 61 medals, including 8 gold, 16 silver and 37 bronze. 55. Through sponsorship by the Imo State Government, the Heartland Football Club, Owerri recently qualified for the Finals of the 2011 Federation Cup. HOUSING
56. Conversion of the Parliamentarian quarters to Concord Hotel Annex 57. Conversion of Banquet Hall to Government House Chapel 58. Design and construction of Heroes Square 59. Design and construction of Ikemba Ojukwu Convention Center, Owerri 60. Renovation of Commissioners’ Quarters 61. Reconstruction of Multi-Purpose Hall and V.I.P Lounge, Government House 62. Reconstruction of Imo State House of Assembly 63. Reconstruction of the Exco Chambers Building 64. Renovation of the Imo Concorde Hotel 65. Reconstruction of the Abuja Laison Office of the Imo State Government 66. Reconstruction of the Brigade Commander’s Guest House 67. Renovation of the Imo State Police Commissioner’s Guest House 68. Renovation of the abandoned Governor’s Lounge, near Concorde Hotel 69. Design and construction of Multi-purpose Hall at Oguta Motel 70. Reconstruction of the Customary Court, Owerri Completion of some Housing Estates, namely:
71. Nekede Exclusive Garden Phase 11, Area ‘H’ New Owerri 72. Okporo Housing Estate , Okporo, Orlu 73. Obinze-Avu Lay out 74. Egbu Market, (Somachi)Lay- out 75. Acquisition of Iwuanyanwu Holdings Landed Property at Naze 76. Acquisition of land for Mass Housing at Azara Obiato SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT 77. Seventy-five matrimonial cases have been treated and the couples re-united 78. On August 23rd 2011, Operators of “Hope House Child Center, Ngugo”,received one million naira, while Green Health Care Services received four million naira as their subvention from the Imo State Government 79. Installation of twenty-seven 40KVA Generator sets in the 27 Special Health Centers 80. Commencement of the procurement of customized Identity cards for all the Traditional Rulers in Imo State SECURITY 81. Procurement of one hundred Hilux Vans manned by a combined team of Police, Army and State Security Service for the effective policing of the Local Government Areas 82. Empowerment of Local Vigilante groups to complement the efforts of the Police in combating crime in Imo State 83. Patrol of the newly acquired Security vehicles within and around the 27 Local Governments for sensitization AGRICULTURE Restructuring and revitalizing of the Assets of the Imo State Government-owned Companies that have been moribund or performing at a very low capacity, namely: 84. Imo Palm Plantation limited ( a.k.a Adapalm Ltd, Ohaji) 85. Imo Modern Poultry, Avutu, Obowo Local Government Area 86. Imo Rubber Estate limited, Obiti, Emeabiam and Umuekwunne 87. Development of cassava farms in all the 27 local Government Areas in Imo State 88. Commencement of the replication of Imo Palm Plantation project in the 3 zones that make up Imo State 89. Commencement of the replication of Imo Modern Poultry in the 3 geo-political zones that make up Imo State 90. Empowerment of over 100 FUGs & FCAs under the FADAMA 111 projects to increase food production in Imo State 91. Increasing the volume of fish production in Imo State through the Agro-Nova project of the Imo State Ministry of Agriculture
92. Improvement of the Oguta Fish Hatchery to produce about 50,000 fingerlings per year 93. Stocking of the Nekede Poultry section of the Agronova with birds 94. Delivering Agricultural Extension Services to the farmers in the Local Government Areas 95. Distribution of sufficient quantity of fertilizer to the farmers in Imo State during the last planting season
CAPITAL PROJECTS 96. Release of 180 million naira for development projects in Orlu and Okigwe zones in Imo State Asphalting of some major roads within Owerri Municipal, including: 97. Assumpta Road, 98. Bank Road, 99. MCC Road through School Road 100. Restoring peace and confidence in the entire people of Imo State to the nation’s democratic process.
Kayode Ogundamisi is a commentator on Nigerian and international affairs, he was involved in the Nigerian pro-democracy struggle, Ogundamisi survived a trumped-up charge of treasonable offence against the military government of General Babangida, he was detained in Jos prison in 1991 and released after intensive local and international campaigns against the government charging him and 12 other students before a military tribunal. Ogundamisi was a frontline member of the National Association of Nigerian Student and a former secretary general of the University of Jos Students Union in Nigeria and the O'dua People’s Congress.
Ogundamisi currently shuttles between his base in The United Kingdom and his Country of Birth Nigeria where he runs a programme on self-empowerment. He is the convener of the Liberty Forum UK and his involved in engaging local communities and community and social empowerment.
He graduated with a B.SC in Political Science from University of Jos. The Nigerian Institute of Journalism and a Master’s in Public Administration from the Ogun State University and Masters in International Relations from the London Metropolitan University. He is a volunteer campaigns fellow for the German human rights group IMRV Bremen.
Ogundamisi was appointed by the UK government as a board member of the United Kingdom Independent Monitoring Board (IMB) a position he held for 3 years. Ogundamisi is very active on the social media, with his commentary blog "The Canary" under the twitter handle @ogundamisi and he writes sporadic independent op-ed articles for major Nigerian media outlets.
Ogundamisi is the host of the diaspora community socio political programme “PolitricsWithKO” on Europe’s first ethnic oriented television Channel BEN-TV broadcasting on BSKYB 238 and Startime Africa/Freeview Channel 244.